SF / PARIS / REMOTE
👋 Hello! Orbit is hiring a community advocate to help build and nurture our growing community of developer advocates, community managers, internet creators, and open source maintainers. This is a community manager-esque role with an important advocacy element, meaning that you won’t just be thinking about how to build Orbit’s community but how to help Orbit’s members build their own.
On top of that, you’ll be the “Customer 0” of the Orbit Model and application, applying the tools we are building to our daily efforts to build our own community.
Here are some signs that you might be a good fit for the role:
- You have 2+ years of experience as a community manager, advocate, or equivalent
- You’ve built, managed, and grown one or more communities in the past
- You feel comfortable guiding and mentoring others in their approach to community building
- You’re an enthusiastic writer or blogger and enjoy publishing content and sharing what you’re learning
- You’ve run online or offline events before, particularly meetups or conferences
- You have tried to use systems like Zapier or Segment to automate community workflows
- You enjoy studying products and thinking about how to improve them
- You like compiling and looking at the data to see what is and isn’t working
Note: please see the Developer Advocate role for a comparable role that includes engineering skills.
Here are some of the things that you could expect to be doing:
- Using Orbit the application to build Orbit the community, providing feedback and having a real stake in the product roadmap
- Helping evolve the Orbit Model into a full-fledged framework for community building that covers topics like trust, safety, and moderation
- Sharing the community-building techniques that are working for us with our community members, and generally sharing community best practices coming from anywhere
- Empathizing with community builders of many different shapes and sizes to understand their needs and challenges
- Helping establish or grow Orbit community channels like our Slack group, Discourse forum, and others to come
- Sparking and facilitating conversations in chat, forums, and social media
- Writing short and long-form content to be shared in community channels, blogs, and social media
- Using other content mediums like video and voice to help increase the sense of personal connection in the community
- Organizing events of our own and with partners
Why work at Orbit? Here are some of the reasons why we feel this is a special opportunity for the right community advocate.
- You will be building a community of community builders, helping teach the teachers that will be ushering in the next wave of community-driven products and businesses.
- The tool you’ll use as your community command center is Orbit itself! You will have a major influence on the product roadmap that will come directly from you trying to use Orbit to implement the various community program ideas that you have.
- You will not have to fight for resources and budget against larger, more powerful teams - community is the top priority for us.
- You will work with founders and a team who deeply values the work that community folks do - justifying yourself, your role, or the role of the community team in general will not be part of your existence at Orbit.
- You’ll be the first community advocate and have huge potential to shape the community efforts and team to come.
Here are some specifics about the role:
- Competitive salary
- 0.1-0.75% equity
- Remote-friendly or local in Paris or San Francisco
- No visa sponsorship at this time
Based on experience and seniority, the title of this role is flexible. If you are looking for your next role title to be a senior / lead / director, we can accommodate that. Don’t hesitate to ask or let us know what you need.
We offer to all of our employees:
- Flexible and family-friendly working arrangements
- Excellent medical and dental benefits
- Minimum 4 weeks of vacation per year
- Maternity and paternity leave beyond what is legally required
- Your dream hardware, software, and conferencing set up
- Paid courses, books, and professional development
- A personal community building budget
All of our roles are remote-friendly. The well-being of orbiteers is very important to us. If you tell us what you need to be happy and successful, we’ll try our best to accommodate.
We are a seed-stage company with less than 10 employees. Our company is distributed with team members today in Paris and San Francisco. All roles are remote-friendly. We value thoughtfulness, kindness, diversity, persistence, and curiosity. We think space puns are out of this world.
Diversity and inclusion is critical to how we are building the company and how we think about the world. We strongly encourage candidates from under-represented groups to apply. We actively try to identify and mitigate the cognitive biases we know that we suffer from as human beings. We invest time in sourcing candidates from outside our networks. We aspire to be a company that under-represented folks are excited to work at, and we’re prepared to put in the work to make that a reality. If you join the team, we hope & expect that you are too.
What we're building
We are the creators of the Orbit Model, a new way to model customer and community relationships that is not based on the marketing and sales funnel. The Orbit Model accommodates customer journeys that are non-binary, long-term, and situations where customer advocacy is more valuable than customer dollars.
To help our community apply the Orbit Model, and generally grow and manage their communities, we are building the Orbit application. The Orbit application is a SaaS application that functions as a single-pane-of-glass into our users’ communities, plugging into each location that community takes place and surfacing important members and activities.
Our customers include The Linux Foundation, CirlceCI, Postman, Apollo GraphQL, and many of the fastest growing projects on GitHub.
Why we're building it
Our mission is to empower developer advocates and community teams to build thriving communities and prove the value of their work. We advocate for community as a business practice and believe it is as fundamental as product, marketing, or sales. Our vision is that every leading company of the future will have a strong, executive-level community function. We are building projects, products, and content that will help the industry get there.