SF / PARIS / REMOTE
👋 Hello! Orbit is hiring a lead engineer to help architect our overall technology direction and tackle the most challenging parts of our product and engineering roadmap.
This is a role for a strong individual + leadership contributor who is ready to work closely with the CTO and build the technological backbone and engineering team of the company.
This is first and foremost an individual contributor role, but with the opportunity of growing into a partial or full leadership role in the future.
Here are some signs that you might be a good fit for the role:
- You have 5+ years of experience as an engineer
- You’ve architected, designed and built complex web applications at other companies / startups
- You’ve been a senior, staff, principal engineer before
- You’ve built and managed engineering teams before
- You’ve been a director or VP engineering or CTO before but want to spend some time in the code again before building up a team
- You’re comfortable making important technology and tooling choices: buy vs. build, vendor management
- You have a perspective and set of beliefs on technology that guide your actions
- You’re ready to mostly write code for the next 6-12 months
- You’ll be eager to source and interview candidates to help us build the best team
- You’ll enjoy writing about our engineering accomplishments and our culture
Here are some specifics about the role:
- Competitive salary
- Reports to the CTO
- Remote-friendly or local in Paris or San Francisco
- No visa sponsorship at this time
Based on experience and seniority, the title of this role is flexible. If you are looking for your next role title to be a principal / director / VP engineering, we can accommodate that. Don’t hesitate to ask or let us know what you need.
We offer to all of our employees:
- Flexible and family-friendly working arrangements
- Excellent medical and dental benefits
- Minimum 4 weeks of vacation per year
- Maternity and paternity leave beyond what is legally required
- Your dream hardware, software, and conferencing set up
- Paid courses, books, and professional development
- A personal community building budget
All of our roles are remote-friendly. The well-being of orbiteers is very important to us. If you tell us what you need to be happy and successful, we’ll try our best to accommodate.
We are a seed-stage company with less than 10 employees. Our company is distributed with team members today in Paris and San Francisco. All roles are remote-friendly. We value thoughtfulness, kindness, diversity, persistence, and curiosity. We think space puns are out of this world.
Diversity and inclusion is critical to how we are building the company and how we think about the world. We strongly encourage candidates from under-represented groups to apply. We actively try to identify and mitigate the cognitive biases we know that we suffer from as human beings. We invest time in sourcing candidates from outside our networks. We aspire to be a company that under-represented folks are excited to work at, and we’re prepared to put in the work to make that a reality. If you join the team, we hope & expect that you are too.
What we're building
We are the creators of the Orbit Model, a new way to model customer and community relationships that is not based on the marketing and sales funnel. The Orbit Model accommodates customer journeys that are non-binary, long-term, and situations where customer advocacy is more valuable than customer dollars.
To help our community apply the Orbit Model, and generally grow and manage their communities, we are building the Orbit application. The Orbit application is a SaaS application that functions as a single-pane-of-glass into our users’ communities, plugging into each location that community takes place and surfacing important members and activities.
Our customers include The Linux Foundation, CirlceCI, Postman, Apollo GraphQL, and many of the fastest growing projects on GitHub.
Why we're building it
Our mission is to empower developer advocates and community teams to build thriving communities and prove the value of their work. We advocate for community as a business practice and believe it is as fundamental as product, marketing, or sales. Our vision is that every leading company of the future will have a strong, executive-level community function. We are building projects, products, and content that will help the industry get there.
Our interview process consists of several exploratory chats, a technical or domain-specific collaboration session, and a final call to discuss our decision to extend an offer or to pass. We believe your time is valuable and will use it respectfully. The timeline is 1-2 weeks unless you need more time. The collaboration session is not designed to make you sweat, but to help both of us get a sense of what it’s like to work together, while helping us understand the depth and breadth of your experience. Our hope is that both sides feel that they got something out of meeting each other and exploring the opportunity together, even if an offer isn’t extended or accepted.