How does member enrichment work?
Why enrich members
To learn the most about your community members, you need to have a good view of their community activity and who they are.
For example, interesting member attributes can be the member's full name, avatar, bio, organization, location and social profiles. This information helps you better understand & segment your community, improve your community strategy and personalize your outreach effort.
Enrichment automatically populates member attributes in Orbit so you don’t have to find and input them member by member.
GitHub and Twitter enrichment
Orbit pulls member attributes from multiple sources:
- GitHub, Twitter and other connected integration.
- A third-party data providers called Clearbit and Apollo.io.
By default, every workspace gets free and unlimited member enrichment via GitHub, Twitter and other integrations connected to your workspace. The only limit is how much information your community members have shared with those platforms. For example, if Twitter is connected to your workspace and one of your members has set their location on Twitter, Orbit will automatically populate the member's location. If the Twitter location is missing, this information should be pulled from another integration, Clearbit or Apollo.io.
Clearbit and Apollo.io enrichment
Clearbit and Apollo.io are a well-known third-party data provider, that can enrich your community members using their email. This capability is especially useful to enrich the members for which Orbit has little information but their email.
The easiest way to understand how manual enrichment works is to try it out:
1) Visit the profile of a member with an email, then click "Try it now":
2) This will open the Enrichment UI. Click "Use this email" to make a Manual enrichment request and verify the information the enrichment service has found.
3) If you're happy with the information shown, tick the checkbox and save the enrichment.
This will override existing member attributes with the new ones found via the enrichment service. Please note that it will not save any newfound social profiles (i.e. Github, LinkedIn, Twitter account names). Those identities are shown in the modal above to help you verify that the enrichment service has pulled data about the correct user. To add social profiles/identities to a member, you must add them manually.
Every workspace gets free manual enrichment, but this process remains manual. If you'd rather have your members automatically enriched, you can opt in to automatic enrichment. Automatic enrichment will:
- automatically populate member attributes found that were previously empty
- automatically add LinkedIn, Github, Twitter, and other social profiles/identities if they exist
Upgrade to one of our paid plans to get access!
What member attributes will the enrichment service enrichment populate?
The enrichment service will populate any of the following attributes depending on the information they have on the member:
- Full name
- Site associated to this member
- GitHub, Twitter and LinkedIn social profiles
Will manual enrichment save social profiles/identities to member profiles?
No, it won't. By default, manual enrichment only saves member attributes like the ones listed above. Social profiles like Github, Twitter, and LinkedIn must be manually added on the member's profile.
If you'd like automatic identity creation to happen alongside enrichment, upgrade to one our paid plans!
Will automatic enrichment overwrite existing member attributes?
No, it won't. By default, automatic enrichment will only populate the empty member attributes. It will also add the LinkedIn, GitHub, Twitter social profiles/identities if they exist.
Note: for manual enrichment, you have the ability to verify every information the enrichment service has on the member. Upon clicking "Save enrichment", the enrichment service will hence overwrite the existing member attributes.
How reliable are Clearbit and Apollo.io data?
Clearbit is one of the top data providers. Its technology looks through 250+ public and private data sources, that include social profiles, company websites, legal filings, crowdsourcing, and many more. It scores the data sources and pushes the billions of data points they provide through several stages of verification. Learn more about how Clearbit collects and processes the data, before making it available for external consumption.
Is there a cap to how many profiles can be automatically enriched?
Yes - there is a monthly quota of profiles that can be automatically enriched in your workspace. These are the caps in place for each paid plan:
- Starter: 0
- Growth: 500
- Premium (Legacy): 2,500
- Enterprise: 2,500
If you reach the monthly cap, no more profiles will be automatically enriched for the rest of that month. The count resets on the 1st of each month.
- How does member enrichment work?
- Why enrich members
- GitHub and Twitter enrichment
- Clearbit and Apollo.io enrichment
- Manual enrichment
- Automatic enrichment
- What member attributes will the enrichment service enrichment populate?
- Will manual enrichment save social profiles/identities to member profiles?
- Will automatic enrichment overwrite existing member attributes?
- How reliable are Clearbit and Apollo.io data?
- Is there a cap to how many profiles can be automatically enriched?