Identify inactive community members
Since you only have so much time, you have to be strategic with which members you actually want to check in on in your community.
We think it’s best to re-engage members who:
- became inactive relatively recently
- showed interest in your community in the past (like by participating in your Slack/Discord)
In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to use Orbit to find the most notable members that have become inactive in your community.
Step 1) Filter for recently inactive members
First, I’m going to filter for members who were active in the last 3 months, but who were not active in the last 30 days.
- Click Add Filter → Activity Type, timeframe… Select Any Activity.
- Then click Add Filter → Activity Type, timeframe… Change who did to who did not. Then, select Any Activity.
Your final filter set should look like this:
Step 2) Narrow my list to members that I want to re-engage
Now I want to narrow down my list further so that I’m re-engaging the most relevant community members.
To do that, I will use the filters to select members whose inactivity is important to me. Here are some examples of how I might filter for a more specific subset of inactive users.
- If I want to re-engage users that are historically the most active, I’d filter by Orbit Level.
- Click Add Filters → Orbit Level → 1
- If I’m particularly concerned with re-engaging inactive community members who are recognized as “Key Accounts” by my company, I’ll filter by my “Key Accounts” tag
- Click Add Filters → Member Tags → Key Account.
- If I want to re-engage inactive community members who have joined my Discord server, I’ll filter for users with Discord activity.
- Click Add Filters → Activity type, timeframe… and select Discord server join.
- If I want to re-engage inactive community members who are located in San Francisco because that’s the region I’m responsible for, I’ll filter by city.
- Click Add Filters → City → San Francisco
(If you’re not sure what Orbit Level 1 means, click here to read more.)
Now that you’ve identified which members you want to re-engage, consider adding them to a list so you can keep track of who you need to re-engage. Check out this playbook to walk through the process: