The Reddit integration for Orbit will automatically ingest comments on up to five specific Subreddits. We will create a new member profile for every commenter along with their comment activity if they don't already exist, or we'll add a new comment activities to any existing members.
The table below summarizes what is included in this integration:
- Posts created on selected Subreddits (limited to 5 subreddits) - Comments on posts on selected Subreddits You can use Keyword Filtering to match Posts with specific keywords to reduce irrelevant matches.
- 1000 posts and comment activities retrospectively from any selected Subreddits
Does not track or import
- Your personal account activities, such as joining a Subreddit - Reactions/Likes/Upvotes
Installing the Reddit integration
After creating your Orbit workspace, you can add the Reddit integration from the Integrations page in your workspace's Settings.
Click on Reddit and you'll see a pop up like the one below. You should check that you are either completely logged out of Reddit or already logged into the account that you want to connect to Orbit.
Which account to use?
You can use your own Reddit account unless you and your team have a shared Reddit account, in which case, use that. If you don't want to use your account, consider creating a shared account instead. Orbit does not have any permissions to act as you, or post on your behalf, all we do is gather the comments on the subreddit(s) that you select.
If at some stage you need to change the account you have connected to Orbit, remove the Reddit integration and add it back using a different account. No past data will be lost if you do this.
Once you are happy to proceed, click on Allow. If you are not logged into Reddit you will be redirected to their site and asked to log in as the account you want to connect to Orbit.
If you are already logged in, you will be asked to grant Orbit the correct permissions to access the data we need to sync the comments associated with whichever subreddit you choose to your workspace.
Once you grant Orbit permission to access Reddit you will be redirected back to the settings page in the Orbit application.
Now select the subreddit(s) (limited to 5 max) that you want to sync with Orbit. You can do this by checking the box next to each one.
Filter using specific keywords (highly recommended)
Not everyone has a Subreddit that is entirely about their product, brand or community, but you might get mentions in other Subreddits that you want to know about.
Keyword filtering allows you to specify up to five specific keywords for the integration to check for. If any keyword is matched in a post, it will be added to Orbit, otherwise we will ignore it.
To add keywords, use the form in the Reddit integration settings page.
Each row should be used for a single keyword or phrase, as we use OR as the operator, meaing each row represents a different keyword you want to check for.
In the example above, your amazing api would be queried as “your amazing api” so only an exact match of those three words, in that order, would return results.
Note: The same keywords are checked across all selected Subreddits.
Clicking on Save will store your Subreddit selection, and any keyword filtering you have set up.
The setup is complete and at this point and a historical import of previous comment data from your chosen subreddit(s) will begin.
Where we check for matches
To start, we check a post’s title and content for any of the matching keywords. Next, if we find a match, we will then also track the comments on that particular post.
Use Orbit Filters to find Activities/Members by Reddit Keywords
It is possible to filter your Members and Activities by the specific Reddit keywords that they have used.
In the Filters throughout the Orbit app, if you select the Reddit Activity Types you can additionally use Activity Properties > All Reddit Keywords to select all, some, or a single keyword to filter by.
By default the Reddit integration will import the past 1000 activities on your chosen subreddit.
The Reddit integration will create a new activity type on your workspace called Commented on a post.
If you want to edit any of weights associated with this Activity Type you can find them in your workspace's Settings under Activity Types.
By default the weight is 1.0, but you should consider how important these activities are for you and your community and adjust them if necessary.
Please note that if you change the weight of an activity type, only activities created after that point will be given the new weight. If you want to apply a new weight to historical activities as well, please contact [email protected] and let us know which activity type(s) you would like to have reweighed.
Revoke Orbit's access to your Reddit account
If you would like to revoke the access you initially granted to your account, you can do so by visiting the Reddit Authorized Applications page. Find the Orbit application in the list and click on Revoke Access.
Removing the Reddit integration from Orbit
If you want to remove the Reddit integration you can do so from the integration settings page.
Useful to know
- Removing the integration does not delete the activities associated with it. If you would like to remove all Reddit activity from your workspace, contact [email protected].
- Removing the Orbit integration from a workspace does not unlink it from your account. In order to completely remove the Reddit integration, you will need to unlink it via the Linked Accounts section of your Account Settings.
- It is possible to add more than one Reddit integration to your workspace. The second integration must use a different account for the Reddit authentication, and the subreddits you choose to monitor should be different from any other existing Reddit integrations you have connected to Orbit.
- Reddit integration
- Installing the Reddit integration
- Which account to use?
- Filter using specific keywords (highly recommended)
- Where we check for matches
- Use Orbit Filters to find Activities/Members by Reddit Keywords
- Historical Import
- Activity Types
- Revoke Orbit's access to your Reddit account
- Removing the Reddit integration from Orbit
- Useful to know