The YouTube integration for Orbit will automatically ingest comments on videos from the channels on the account you connect.
We will create a new member profile for every commenter along with their comment activity if they don't already exist, or we'll add a new comment activities to any existing members.
The table below summarises the activities this integration does and does not track:
- Comments on videos posted publicly on your channel
- Comments from all videos posted publically as far back as the API allows (usually the start of the channel)
Does not track or import
- Mentions of your channel elsewhere on YouTube - Videos posted by other creators about you or your company - Engagement metrics, such as likes
Installing the YouTube integration
After creating your Orbit workspace, you can add the YouTube integration from the Integrations page in your workspace's Settings.
Click on YouTube and you'll see a pop up like the one below. You should check that you are either completely logged out of YouTube or already logged into the account that owns the channel that you want to connect to Orbit.
Which account to use?
Important: Google will only allow the owner of the channel to connect the integration to Orbit. If you are a Manager, or Editor on your YouTube Channel, but not the account owner, you will need to ask whoever is to complete these steps.
If you need to find out who the owner of the channel is, follow these steps:
- Log in to YouTube
- Head to the YouTube Studio
- Click Settings > Permissions
- You’ll see the Owner listed alongside Managers and Editors.
If you haven’t got a channel yet, and you don’t want to assign it to a person, you can also create a specific Google login to use with the account and add the connection with Orbit. You can then use this as a shared account.
Once you are happy to proceed, click on Allow.
Once you grant Orbit permission to access YouTube you will be redirected back to the settings page in the Orbit application.
The setup is complete and at this point and a historical import of previous data will begin.
By default the YouTube integration will import all comments from every video on the account as far back as the API allows.
Adding multiple channels
If you have more than one channel that you would like to have connected to Orbit, this is possible by adding a second YouTube integration and repeating the steps above.
You can differentiate between the activities from different channels by using Filters > Activity Properties and selecting the channel you want.
Removing the YouTube integration from Orbit
If you want to remove the Youtube integration you can do so from the integration settings page.
Useful to know
- Removing the integration does not delete the activities associated with it. If you would like to remove all Youtube activity from your workspace, contact [email protected].
- Removing the Orbit integration from a workspace does not unlink it from your account. In order to completely remove the YouTube integration, you will need to unlink it via the Linked Accounts section of your Account Settings.