Celebrate member milestones to increase engagement in your community
Time to complete: 5 minutes
Recognizing member milestones is a great way to encourage your community members to keep participating in the community. When people know that a community takes the time to recognize its members, it signals to them that their contributions are important.
With Orbit, you can quickly set up a milestone recognition program that requires minimal time and effort to run.
In this guide, you will learn how to:
1) Detect when a member reaches a milestone in your community
2) Celebrate your members’ accomplishments via a celebration email.
In this example, we want to encourage more people to be helpful in the community. We’ve decided that each month, we will recognize members that have opened at least 2 PRs and have responded to at least 10 Discord threads in the last 30 days.
Step 1) Create a list of members who have matched our milestone
- Go to the Lists tab in your workspace and click Create new list. Add a name and a description for your list. In this case,
Name: Star Contributors.
Description: Use this list to send swag to our members that reached our start contributor status. To reach this milestone, members must have opened ≥2 PRs and replied to 10 Discord threads in the past 30 days.
Step 2) Auto-add members to your list
Workflows will allow us to automatically add members who meet our milestone. To set up a workflow,
- Go to the Workflows tab. Select Add Member to List
- For workflow step 1, add filters to find members that match our milestone. You will need to use the Activity filter, Activity count filter, and Activity Timeframe filters. This is what the filters should look like:
- For workflow step 2, select your list from the dropdown
- Click Run Workflow. If you then go back to your list, you will see that it has been populated with members that match our milestone criteria. Moving forward, only members that have not matched before will be added to this list each day, so you’ll never accidentally reward the same person twice.
Step 3) Congratulate members that reached the milestone
- Scan your list for new members. They should have no status in the Status column. Look at the info in the columns or click on the member name to determine if the match seems credible.
- If you’d like to reward the member, update their status to In Progress. Then, look at their Linked Profiles column to determine where you want to send your congrats message. Click on the icon you want. This will either take you to that site or copy their username so you can send your message.
- After you send your message, update the member’s status in your list to Complete.
Our message will say something like this:
Hey! Congrats on reaching the Star Contributor status in our community 🥳 We cannot thank you enough for the time you’ve put in helping people get their questions answered and making our GitHub repo work better for everyone. As a thank you, we’d like to send you a little gift. Click this link so you can choose your swag and we can send it to you: [swag link]. Thanks again and congratulations 🎊
There are many ways that you can tailor a member activity milestone program in your community. Check out the resources below for more ideas: