Connect new members with current community members
Time to complete: 5 minutes
One of the best ways to get new members comfortable and involved in your community is by setting up an introduction between the new member and a knowledgeable guide in your community. This invites the new member to engage more deeply with the community. The connect could be a DM conversation, an in-person coffee chat, or a group happy hour.
In this playbook, you’ll learn how to:
1) Find notable members who joined your community for the first time
2) Connect them to tenured members of your community
What does a good connection matter?
By connecting new members to individual community members, you can expect to see the following outcomes:
- Stronger community relationships between members and a more tenured community member
- Less pressure on the community manager/team because the member has a larger support system
- Higher likelihood that members will stick around and retain
Step 1) Create a list of notable new members that need connecting
- Go to the Lists tab in your workspace. Click Create new list. Add a name and a description. In this case, we’ll use the following:
Name: New Members to Connect with Current Community Members
Description: Connect current ambassadors with new members that joined our community for the first time.
Step 2) Auto-add members to your list
We will use a workflow to automatically add members who are new and notable to your list. To set it up,
- Go to the Workflows Tab. Select Add Member to List
- Set up filters for your workflow. We’ll use the following filters:
- For workflow step 2, choose your list from the dropdown. Then click Run Workflow. All currently matching members will be added to your list. Moving forward, only members that have not matched before will be added to your list each day.
Step 3) Send a message to connect a new member to a current member
- Scan your list of new notable members and figure out which ones you want to connect with members in your community.
- If you’d like to connect the member, update their status to In Progress. Look at their Linked Profiles column to determine where you want to send your check-in message. Click on the icon you want. This will either take you to that site or copy their username so you can send your message.
- Our message will say something like this:
- After you send your message, update the member’s status in your list to Complete.
Hey! I’m Tony, the community manager at Orbit. I’m so glad you’re here and are taking this thing for a spin. I'd love to introduce you to one of our community ambassadors [Name]. She’d love to share her experience and get to learn more about you! Would you be interested in a 15 min coffee chat with her? Here’s her Calendly link if you’d like to schedule something
There are many ways that you can tailor the connections process to your community’s needs. Check out the resources below for more ideas: